This pie dough recipe is the secret to delicious, crowd-pleasing savoury pies and quiches.
Our savoury pie dough is another one of our cooking hacks. By eliminating sugar and adding a small amount of black pepper, you get an equally flaky, delightful pie crust that pairs better with savoury pies.
(Related: A Go-To Recipe for Sweet Pie Dough)
Savoury Pie Dough
Makes two 10-inch (25 cm) shells
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) kosher salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable shortening 1/3 cup (75 mL) cold water
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, pepper, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the shortening 1 tablespoon (15 mL) at a time, until all of the shortening has been added and the mixture is crumbly. Add the water and continue mixing on low speed until the dough comes together and is smooth, almost like a paste.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Lightly knead the dough, about 1 minute, until it pulls away from the floured surface. Divide it into 2 equal portions. Shape the dough into 2 discs and wrap each tightly in plastic wrap. If making a half batch of dough, shape the dough into a single disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place the dough in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 weeks. If using from frozen, thaw the dough in the fridge overnight before using it.
Excerpted from Earth to Table Bakes by Bettina Schormann and Erin Schiestel. Copyright © 2021 Bettina Schormann and Erin Schiestel. Photography © 2021 Maya Visnyei Photography. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
This dough is light, flaky and delicious—and you cannot overmix it. This recipe goes against everything...Continue Reading
Dark chocolate and pecans make a sophisticated pairing in this holiday-perfect pie. Adding dark chocolate to...Continue Reading
Get into the holiday spirit with these spiced ginger cookies. These ginger cookies are the perfect...Continue Reading
Follow this basic risotto recipe that you can pour any leftover grains into. Plus, how to...Continue Reading
Pomegranates are best known for their high antioxidant content, especially punicalagin, a potent antioxidant present in...Continue Reading
From a nutritional standpoint, buckwheat is an all-star. Buckwheat is higher in protein than rice, millet...Continue Reading
Turn last night’s leftovers into something totally new with this leftover roast chicken recipe. Plus, four...Continue Reading
20 Mind-Blowing Self-Care Ideas For Women-A Complete Recipe for Mental Well-being Post published: Post category: Stress...Continue Reading