10 Potential Holiday Dangers for Your Dog

3 / 11

wrapping presents ledeImage Credit: Family Handyman

Wrapping Supplies

Gift wrap, ribbons, bows and confetti look like fun for a dog to play with, but are dangerous if ingested. They can easily bunch in the stomach or wrap around the intestines, causing serious and potentially fatal harm to your pet.

“Don’t let your pet play with these items and put away any gift-wrapping materials right after you finish wrapping,” says Richardson. “Seek immediate veterinary attention if you think your pet may have swallowed something.”

(Related: 89 Totally Perfect Wellness Gifts for the Year That Was 2020)

4 / 11

ChocolateImage Credit: Yevgen Romanenko/Getty Images

Sweet Treats

Indulgent holiday treats can be life-threatening to dogs if consumed. Chocolate contains methylxanthines such as caffeine and theobromine, which dogs are particularly sensitive to, says Dr. Rachel Barrack, a licensed veterinarian and certified veterinary acupuncturist. “Signs of chocolate toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rates, increased temperature, muscle rigidity and even seizures, cardiac failure and coma,” she says.

Candy and baked goods with artificial sweetener xylitol can also be toxic to dogs.

Richardson adds, “Certain candies and cookies might contain nuts, many of which are also harmful for dogs. Watch for baked goods that contain grapes or raisins as even just a couple can lead to kidney failure in dogs.”

Make sure to keep all sweet treats up high where dogs can’t get them. Contact your vet immediately if you think your dog has consumed any of these items.

5 / 11

Luxury living room interior with sofa decorated chic Christmas tree, gifts, plaid and pillowsImage Credit: Sergey Mikheev/Shutterstock

Christmas Tree

Christmas trees are beautiful to look at but pose risks to your dog. Whether it’s real or fake, make sure your tree is properly secured so it doesn’t fall and hurt your pet. Don’t let your pet drink from the tree stand water basin and don’t add anything to the water, in case you’re out of the room when you dog decides to take a sip. Also, stagnant water can cause bacteria to grow and cause serious stomach upsets for dogs if consumed.

“Sweep or vacuum up the needles regularly, as they can be harmful if eaten,” Richardson advises. “They can also get stuck between your pet’s paw pads and cause irritation or pain.”

(Related: The Ultimate Guide to Keeping Your Skin Smooth All Winter Long)

Best Health Magazine Canada


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *